I have an Oracle8i V08.01.06 database dump file, which was created using conventional path. In my system, Oracle8i V08.01.04 is installed. When I tried to import the file, I get an error message, and it's quitting the process. Is there any solution for importing the higher version to a lower version database?
When creating an export dump file for an import into a lower release database, use a version of the EXPORT utility that is equal to the version of the target database (lowest version = 08.01.04 in this case) Also, you should always use a version of the IMPORT utility that is equal to the version of the target database as well. Try creating your dump file again, but this time make sure and use the export from your 8.01.04 version. That should take care of your problem!
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database backup and recovery
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.