I have a 18.104.22.168 database. I would like to export the whole database and import it into a 22.214.171.124 database that I build. Would this work?
This will absolutely work! In fact, if you check the Oracle 9i migration guide, this is one of the approved migration paths. In order to go to 9.2.0, you'd have to first upgrade to either 8.1.7 or 9.0.1. If you want to skip this interim step, then export/import is your only alternative. Another upside is that you can change OS platforms at the same time you upgrade. The downside is that importing a large database can take a long time.
I'll leave you with two pieces of advice to ensure your transition is smoother. First, use the Oracle 7 export utility, but the Oracle 9i import utility. Second, if you are transferring the dump file to another server, make sure you FTP the fine in binary mode.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our applications, PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.