I've figured out how to insert/update BLOB data into Oracle 8.1.6, but now how do I see the image file?
You cannot "see" the image file in SQL*Plus. SQL*Plus (or Server Manager or SQL Worksheet with OEM) are by nature text based interfaces. So no matter what you do, you will not be able to display the image in any of these tools. They just do not support graphic images.
Instead, you'll need to code an application to view this. For instance, I might be designing a C++ application with Borland's C++ Builder. I would use Oracle's C Interface (OCI) to connect to the database. From there, I would use OCI to grab the BLOB image from the table and hold the image in an appropriate datastore. Then paint the image onto a canvas to present to the user. Or I might have a Java Server Page that reads the image from the database through JDBC and then renders the image in the user's browser.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle guru is waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.