How can I create a database in Oracle programmatically?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by creating a database programatically. So I hope that my answer hits the mark somewhere close to your question.
The Oracle Database Configuration Assistant provided with Oracle 8i will ask you questions and then create a database depending on your answers. This wizard was produced by Oracle to guide people in creating databases without too much hassle.
I rarely use this tool. I prefer to use CREATE DATABASE scripts and do this by hand. It's not too hard for one to create a Unix shell script which will ask questions and then create the CREATE DATABASE scripts for you. Then these scripts can be run by hand to create your database. The Oracle8i Administrator's Guide details how to manually create a database and even includes a sample script. You can get a copy of this manual at Technet.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.