Can you please explain to me the different ways available to migrate an Oracle database (from 7.3 to 8i, 8i to 9i). I am thankful if you can provide some useful links.
Migration can be accomplished by either using one or more of the following tools: the Migration Utility, the Oracle Data Migration Assistant or using Export/Import. The best place to look for guidance is the Oracle Migration guide. You can find the Oracle8i version of this document at the following link: http://technet.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a86632.pdf. The Oracle 9i version is located at: http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle9i/doc_library/901_doc/server.901/a90191.pdf. You must have a TechNet membership for these links to function properly, so if you run into trouble, simply go to http://technet.oracle.com to complete the membership form (it's free) and then follow the Documentation links to get to the Migration Guides.
The Migration Guide will outline each of the tools you can use and give you specific details about migrating between versions as well as the differences between upgrading and migrating.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available here.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database export, import and migration
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.