For server hardware and storage hardware:
You need to take into consideration the process of data warehousing when determining your hardware requirements. There are Data Transport Services, Staging Database processes, Data Stewardship applications, Meta Data Management functions, ETL applications, Database servers for the persistent storage area, the multi-dimensional data warehouse and the data marts, the application servers for your BI & reporting tools and the Web servers for your Web-enabled BI tools. All of these logical functions need a processing home. Next you need to size the servers to properly "feed" your selected tools, especially the ETL tool and the BI tool.
For network hardware:
You need to take into consideration the proximity of the source system application and database servers to your data warehouse servers and to your end users' desktops. You'll need to assess the amount of data traffic that will be traversing across your network and make sure to isolate and segregate your network with smart switches and routers to minimize the movement of large packets of data warehouse data across the front door of your operational support systems.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at [email protected] with your feedback.
- The Best Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an DW tip to offer your fellow administrators and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical data warehousing questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle server hardware decisions
Related Q&A from Mike Lampa
When trying to design a data warehouse, we often try to model the database on the operational data model. Are there any guidelines in trying to ... Continue Reading