Is it possible to grant field level access privileges (DML)? If possible, how?
Yes, it is possible. Suppose I sign on to the famous SCOTT/TIGER account, and I want to grant SELECT privileges on just the EMPNO column of the EMP table. I can do that as follows:
GRANT SELECT (empno) ON emp TO public;You can also follow this example for DML statements:
GRANT update (empno) ON emp TO other_user;
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.