How can you get a count of rows updated and inserted using the MERGE function? SQL%COUNT will return a sum of both. How can I get separate totals?
You can't get seperate totals for Oracle 9i's new MERGE statement. This is because SQL%ROWCOUNT will tell you how many rows were affected by the SQL statement and nothing further. If you want seperate totals, you'll have to perform two separate statements, UPDATE and INSERT.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.