I have a number of applications that use MS Access as a frontend application and Oracle as the backend database. The Access applications are linked to the Oracle tables. When I am developing in the Access applications, Access abends whenever there has been more than about five minutes time between table accesses. This is a major problem if I am testing a query and haven't saved it. Why does this happen? And, how can I stop this from happening?
My guess is it's an ODBC timeout. Try checking your ODBC DSN for your Oracle connection and look at the properties to see if there is a timeout value that can be changed upward to eliminate the problem.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.