Searching for information about ETL products is sometimes a hit and miss proposal. Some vendors do a very good job of providing some very detailed information, while others leave you asking what does a product actually do.
Generally your search for information about ETL products will start with the individual product Web site. Some companies will provide a plethora of information and may even include a demo version. For example you ask specifically about the Oracle Warehouse Builder (OWB) product. There are many places to find information about OWB. You may start with the Web site, which provides some solid marketing information. If you wish to look at OWB at a more technical level then you can go to http://otn.oracle.com. This site provides you with a demo version of the product, as well as documentation and technical white papers. If you are looking for information on Ab Initio, you will start your journey at http://www.abinitio.com. This Web site provides you with little information about the product, so I would then direct you to contact the company itself for additional information. Finally you asked about Data Stage. To view product information and some literature you can look at http://ascentialsoftware.com/. As well, you may want to look at product evaluations and reviews provided by groups like Gartner and Gigi for independent views on the products. There is usually a cost associated with these sites, but it may be a small investment for an important decision.
So when looking for information on ETL products I would direct you to the individual vendor Web sites, and then you can contact each vendor for more detailed information as well as to set up demos to pilot projects. Finally, you should take advantage of the various communities, such as this Web site and the other data warehouse communities to discover the information that you need.
I hope that this helps you find the information that one would need when starting your investigation into the various ETL products available today.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an DW tip to offer your fellow administrators and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical data warehousing questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
ETL tools: Here's what to look for
Dig Deeper on Oracle business intelligence and analytics
Related Q&A from Ian Abramson
A SearchOracle.com member asks why a low-cost query has a slower speed than expected. Continue Reading
We are working on the development of a datamart (in 9i) which takes data from two source systems. Since this is a transaction system, there is a lot ... Continue Reading
I am new to Oracle's ETL tool and I need information on data migration using Oracle ETL. Continue Reading