I am trying to export the data using Oracle's exp command, but it fails to export with the following exception:
exp-00002: error in writing to export file exp-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully.The database is Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows NT, and I am running the exp from the windows command.
This error is telling you that the export utility can no longer write to this disk device. This can be caused by a couple of things. The disk device could be full. Or the dump file could exceed a 2 GB file size limit. I've also seen this happen when people try to export to a network attached (mapped) drive and the network connection is not stable enough.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.