If I know the table structures, how do I estimate table and tablespace size?
This varies greatly depending on the database engine. You'll get different answers for DB2/390 than for DB2/UDB, both of which will be different than MS-SQL, all of which will be different from any of the versions of Oracle. provides the closest thing I've seen to "one stop shopping" for database engines that support the ODBC "tables" view.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Database Design Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have a Database Design tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Database Design questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Database Design guru is waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Related Q&A from Pat Phelan
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.