I have a created a database link successfully, and I can actually select from a table in the remote database. But when I try to describe a table on the remote database (desc tablename@remotedb), I get the following error message:
ORA-12663: Services required by client not available on the server.What could be wrong, and what could be the likely solution? My init.ora GLOBAL_NAMES=FALSE.
Unfortunately, the DESCRIBE command is not fully supported across database links. And throughout Oracle's distributed database history, DESCRIBE across a link hasn't had good success. You can get the same information by querying USER_TAB_COLUMNS@remotedb.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.