When I try to connect/internal from svrmgrl, I get connected, but when I try to connect/internal via SQL*Plus I get an error: Explicit attach required before authenticating user. Why doe this error come up?
Logging in as internal is just a short way to log in as "SYS AS SYSDBA". Likely the problem is that you're not specifying the proper host string (net service name) when you try to connect via SQL*Plus. For instance, instead of just typing in CONNECT INTERNAL, you need to may need to type in CONNECT INTERNAL@mydb. If that still doesn't work, try logging into SQL*Plus as SYS with SYSDBA privileges (CONNECT SYS@mydb AS SYSDBA) and make sure you can log in that way.
I'm not sure of what else to suggest without more info on what version of Oracle you're running, what version of SQL*Plus, etc. but make sure of both of those things I mentioned and see if that helps!
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle error messages
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.