How do I delete physical datafile from inside Oracle? I am handling an Oracle8i database from the client machine. I have to drop the Oracle Tablespace. When I drop the tablespace, the physical file should also delete from the operating system folder. What is the procedure, without going to operating system deletion command?
In Oracle 8i and before, you cannot drop the datafile(s) automatically when you drop a tablespace. You must use OS delete commands on the server after you have dropped the tablespace. This is a big pain, isn't it? Oracle has promised that the DROP TABLESPACE command in Oracle 9i will contain a clause which will let you drop the datafiles at the same time the tablespace is dropped. But until you migrate to Oracle 9i, you will be stuck with server-side OS delete commands.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.