I created a database link, and it worked for two or three days. My next attempt to use it resulted in an ORA-12640...
-- "Authentication Adapter Initialization Failed". I checked up the error and found it didn't say specifically what the problem really was. I even reinstalled Oracle 8i and recreated the link and, again, it worked for a few days with the same error reoccuring. Can you please shed light on this error and how it can be resolved?
It is curious that your database link works for a while and then starts failing. That shouldn't happen. Unfortunately, the only what to know exactly what the problem is, and thus the resolution, is to enable network tracing and send the trace files to Oracle Support for analysis. You'll have to open a TAR on Metalink to get this resolved.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.