In our Oracle 8i databases (8.1.7) running in archivelog modes, when we shut down the database, sometimes the database will be dismounted, but the instance closed message will not come. If we give ps-ef|grep ora_ some archx procesess will be live. We are facing this problem on AIX and Sun Solaris platforms. Please guide us.
You will not get the "Database closed." message until all the processes are no longer running. One of the things that DBAs have resorted to is to perform a SHUTDOWN ABORT immediately followed by a STARTUP RESTRICT and then immediately followed by a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE. If you perform these three operations, then your database will not hang for any reason, but you will still be able to take a consistent backup.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our applications, PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.