I had installed Oracle 8i Personal Edition on Windows 98, which I had downloaded from http://technet.oracle.com....
When I start the database, it mounts the database and prompts for start-up password. I had tried all the known Oracle passwords but to no avail. I had found similar queries from others with no cracking solutions. Please help me out in this regard.
Did you create a password file? Use the ORAPWD utility to create a new password file. When you run this utility, you can denote the password for the INTERNAL account. Then fire up SVRMGR and do a CONNECT INTERNAL. After your new password is verified, you are connected to the database. From there, you can change the passwords for SYS and SYSTEM.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.