I'm an Oracle7.3 certified professional. I'm preparing for the Oracle8 New Features paper. I have two questions:
1)How do I create a password file, and how do I run it as a default? Is it possible that my personally created password file will run as a default?
2)I want to run RMAN without RCVCAT. Do I need syntax to backup the database?
The password file is created with the ORAPWD utility. The usage is:
With this, your password file is created. After that, you'll need to set your REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE initialization parameter to EXCLUSIVE.
You can run RMAN without the recovery catalog, but it is not suggested to do so. Without a recovery catalog, I believe that you lose the ability to perform incremental backups and that you can perform only cold backups.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle guru is waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.