To copy an 8i database to another PC, should I take copy of initorcl.ora and then paste it in the target machine and start the target database? Is this enough to duplicate the database?
Don't I wish it was that easy! You've got several choices for duplicating a database.
- Export and Import
- Transportable Tablespaces
- SQL*Plus COPY
- RMAN and even a couple of other options if you wanted to get cute (which you probably wouldn't want to do!).
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database backup and recovery
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.