How do I take an Oracle 8i database and copy it to a machine running 9i?
Since you are moving an 8i database from one machine to another and the other machine is running 9i, then the "best" method is probably to use the export/import tools. Export your 8i database on the source server. Then FTP (in BINARY mode) the dump file to the destination server. Then import your database.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.