I have created two databases in Oracle 8i on Solaris. I would like to know if I can connect both the databases simultaneously from client M/c.
Whether or not you can connect to multiple databases as the same time depends on your application. For instance, Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM) can connect to multiple instances at the same time. SQL*Plus can connect to only one instance at a time. But this does not stop you from having more than one SQL*Plus window open and running, each connecting to a different instance. It is the functionality of the application that determines this.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.