I bring up the Oracle 8i database, it mounts properly, I log on as system/manager, and then I bring up a DOS prompt and type in IMP. It asks for user name and password. I have tried both system/manager and also schema owner tuesday/developer. This is when I get my first error: IMP-00002-unable to open EXPDAT.DMP for read. It then gives me an IMP prompt:
Importfile:EXPDAT.DMP>I type in IMP file='A:forms.dmp' full=y and again get an error stating that the file cannot open for read. The dump fize is 212 MB.
The FILE parameter is a required parameter for the import utility. You can specify this parameter on the command line as follows:
imp userid=system/manager file=my_file.dmpSince you did not provide this parameter, the imp utility requests it. At this point, reply with just the file name, not the full parameter.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.