Is there any PL/SQL command that can reference a physical file name without using IFS?
There is no PL/SQL command to do so. I'm not sure how you plan on "referencing" a physical file. But Oracle does have methods of accessing files outside the database. You can use the UTL_FILE package to open files for input and output. You can use the BFILE datatype to access files similar to the Large Object (LOB) datatypes. And in 9i, you can reference a flat file just as if it were a table in the database, using External Tables.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.