Can an Oracle database run alongside a MS SQL Server database on the same physical server given that hardware requirements are sufficient?
Sure. Since you say if "hardware requirements are sufficient", then you've hit the nail on the head. You'll need plenty of box to handle both and you may run into performance problems and contention since Oracle and SQL Server manage memory and I/O differently. It can be done, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I could help it. :)
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle DBA jobs, training and certification
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.