CanI write a trigger that will get fired everyday at a particular time and the table will put its data in another table?
You cannot write a trigger to fire at a particular time. However, you can write a stored procedure that will do the insert statement and have a SQL*Plus shell execute it at a specific time.
On unix you can use crontab to schedule the SQL task to run at a specific time. On Windows 2000 there is also a Windows task manager that can invoke SQL*Plus.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Eli Leiba are available here.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.