How can I assign a BIG rollback segment to the export backup porocess? I know how to do that for any PL/SQL massive update, but I want to do that for the exp utility too... can I do that?
Export does not make any changes to the database, therefore you do not need to assign a rollback segment to export. Are you sure you didn't mean the import utility?
The import utility does not let you assign a rollback segment to the import process. This is unfortunate. DBAs in Oracle 8i have worked around this by create an AFTER LOGON trigger and having that trigger set the rollback segment for the import session when it signs on to the database. If you are using Oracle 9i, then start using automated UNDO instead of the traditional rollback segments.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our applications, PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.