The basic steps for applying the Oracle 126.96.36.199 patchset are:
- Download the patch from Oracle's Metalink Web site.
- UnTAR it on the database server.
- Shut down all databases using the Oracle9i home.
- Apply the patchset to the Oracle binaries.
- Start up all databases using the Oracle9i home and run required SQL scripts within each database.
The step-by-step instructions are quite detailed and beyond the scope of this forum, but when you download the Oracle 188.8.131.52 patchset from Metalink, a README file with instructions for installing the patch is included. Ensure you have an appropriate back-out plan in place just in case the patch fails. This includes having an appropriate backup of all your databases, as well as the Oracle software and inventory.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database installation, upgrades and patches
Related Q&A from Maria Anderson
I have been trying to install Oracle 8.1.7 on SUSE Linux 9.0 and got the error: "Error in invoking target install of makefile /opt/oracle/...../*.mk." Continue Reading
I'm getting errors while installing the Database Configuration Assistant. Continue Reading
Can I use /var/opt/oracle/oratab to specify listener information? Continue Reading