I have three tables in my user, and each of the tables contain 10 records. I started an export of my user. During the process of export, I inserted five records into the first table, added a column in the second table and dropped the third table. What will be the status of the tables exported? Will all three tables be exported with the latest changes?
The answer all depends on how you performed your export. If you use the CONSISTENT=Y parameter (which is *not* the default), then the export file wll be consistent with the time you started it. If CONSISTENT=N (the default), then each table's contents will only be consistent within the table.
As for dropping a table, if the table has not yet been exported and the table is dropped, then when the export tries to dump the table, you will get error messages similar to the following:
EXP-00056: ORACLE error 8103 encountered ORA-08103: object no longer exists
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.