I have a database with a single control file running. Is there any way to add a second contol file, or what is the best way to backup the existing control file?
There is an easy way to add more than one control file. And it's a good idea to do so. Just follow these simple steps.
- Shut down the database with NORMAL or IMMEDIATE options.
- Copy the single control file to its new location. Rename it if you want or need to.
- Modify your INIT.ORA paramter file. Change the CONTROL_FILES parameter to point to both control files.
- Startup the database.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.