I plan to upgrade to 9i from 22.214.171.124.1. The company we work with has 9.1.0 and we only need to upgrade up to what they have. However, I would rather go directly to 126.96.36.199 than to upgrade to 9.1.0 (with patches) and then possibly upgrade again (with more patches) when the other company decides to upgrade. I would think I would be able to access the 9.1.0 data with no problem, but would rather ask the expert than to assume!
The data inside a 9.0.1 database is not stored any differently than the data inside a 188.8.131.52 database. I'm a little unsure how you plan on accessing the data from the company that you work with. Will this be through a database link? If so, then your two databases can be on different versions. If this didn't answer your question, then please provide more details on how you plan to access the 9.0.1 data from a 184.108.40.206 database.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our PL/SQL, database administration and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.