I'm looking for a good beginners guide to Oracle, particularly in SAN setup and log shipping. I work in a storage support team, and our client is in the process of setting up an Oracle Financials system, in a TRu64 cluster environment attached to a storageworks/HSG80 SAN. They want to do log shipping on top of the cluster setup, so I'm looking for some guidelines as to what's involved and why the cluster setup isn't enough of a security. They're actually proposing log shipping to a server in the same cabinet!
A beginners guide to Oracle and a beginners guide to Oracle on SANs require much different skill sets. For a beginners guide to Oracle, please refer to the Oracle 8i Concepts Guide and Oracle 8i Administrator's Guide. You can get copies of these on an Oracle Web site (http://tahiti.oracle.com).
As for Oracle on SAN's, the best white paper I've seen can be found at http://miracleas.dk/DBF/Morle/Sane_SAN_WP.pdf.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.