If you created a password verification function and it is attached to your user profile, then a user cannot change his password by altering user in Oracle 8.1.7. You will get an error as follows:
sid817 SamSQL :> Connect scott/tiger sid817 SamSQL :> alter user scott identified by "sameer2,3"; alter user scott identified by "sameer2,3" * ERROR at line 1: ORA-28003: password verification for the specified password failed
The error ORA-28003 says password verification failed, although the password which you are supplying is according to function.
The solution for this is as follows: First, connect as SYS. Assuming that you have a password verification function called VARIFY_FUNCTION, you need to issue:
Create public synonym VARIFY_FUNCTION for SYS.VARIFY_FUNCTION; sid817 SamSQL :> Connect scott/tiger sid817 SamSQL :> alter user scott identified by "sameer2,3"; User altered.
For More Information
- What do you think about this tip? E-mail us at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our Oracle gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.