Can't get something for nothing? We beg to differ!
We've gathered a number of free and low-cost tools and utilities that will help you Oracle DBAs and developers do your job better. Have you come across any other freeware, shareware or inexpensive tools (less than $100) that I don't have listed here?
[ Return to Table of Contents ]
- Freeware: Adept: Automatically
back up most Oracle databases to local storage.
- Shareware: ADO
Explorer: Connects to any database using ADO and allows you to explore database structure,
design scripts and SQL queries, and more.
- Shareware: Advanced Query Tool: A fast database
query utility and administration toolset that works with any ODBC database.
- Shareware: AllDb:
Implement any ADO.NET-supported database using a single set of source code.
- Shareware: ASP.NET Maker: Create a
full set of ASP.NET programs from your data source.
- Freeware: Data Loader: Load data directly into an
- Shareware: Database Genius: Create and execute
SQL queries, format the results to create reports, and export to HTML, TXT, and other file
- Shareware: Database Tour: Manage your
database with a variety of functions, including viewing, editing, printing, and creating
- Shareware: DataXplorer:
Browse, edit, and print your database data.
- Shareware: DBAny 1.0:
Manage your database data with one client program rather than many.
- Shareware: DBAToolZ: FusionCode (a monitoring
solution) and SQL Directory (a script management utility).
- Freeware: DBComp: A database comparison
and merge application.
- Shareware: Database Browser
Plus: Updates Web pages with current local database data, exports Word tables to database
tables, and more.
- Shareware: DBQwikEdit Pro: Connects to any
database to edit, move, and export data, generate web pages, create SQL, and more.
- Shareware: DBUptime: Monitor up to four
databases simultaneously with this graphical ODBC tool. Receive alert and recovery notices via
- Shareware: dbXpert for Oracle: Development and
administration tool that includes a SQL workspace, object and data browsers, PL/SQL debugger, and
- Shareware: DTM Data Generator: A customizable,
utility that generates data for database testing purposes.
- Shareware: DTM Tools: Multipurpose database tools,
including SQL editor, schema reporter, data generator, data editor, stress tester, and more.
- Freeware: FastOra: View, compare,
modify, and save snapshots of Oracle database structures.
- Shareware: Forms Tool
Kit: Search and edit your Oracle forms application.
- Shareware: GALtoDB 2.0: Copies
information from a Microsoft Exchange Server Global Address List (GAL) to a database.
- Shareware: GeniusConnect:
Synchronize your Microsoft Outlook contact data with any relational database.
- Shareware: Granger
Unload: A Windows Oracle GUI unloader that can submit unload jobs to background. It can handle
Oracle LONGs,LONG RAWs, CLOBs and BLOBs.
- Shareware: GUDU Oracle utilities: EasyScript,
EasyDump, EasySQLChecker, Oracle Session Manager, and EasyDBV.
- Shareware: Javvin Easy Service Monitor:
Keep an eye on your network devices and services, including database servers.
- Shareware: JFin: Status
monitor for Oracle Financials
- Shareware: Material Dreams
Oracle utilities: Shared Pool Profiler, Table Exporter, Session Manager, PL/SQL Trace, and
- Shareware: ISMAM: Manage your
files from any computer that is connected to the Net.
- Shareware: Oracle Security
Check: Test your user names and passwords.
- Shareware: Oracle Session Manager: This
tool monitors how connected sessions use database instance resources in real time.
- Shareware: OraSnap: A collection of
Oracle performance scripts with Web-based output.
- Freeware: QuickLoad: Utility to
load Excel files to database (MySQL/Oracle) with automatic creation of tables and columns. Supports
batch processing of multiple files.
- Shareware: RRDORA: A set of UNIX
shell scripts for Oracle.
- Shareware: RepTool" Light: Generate reports from
any type of database.
- Freeware: ReportXpert: Acquire different reports for
Oracle database performance and statistics.
- Freeware: SafetyNet Lite for
Oracle: Back up and export your database on a regular basis.
- Shareware: Schema graphical editor: A
Web-oriented application for editing and analyzing database schemas.
- Freeware: SchemaSurf: A
browser-based tool for querying your Oracle database schemas.
- Freeware: Schemester: Database
modeling tool for Oracle: create logical entity relationship diagrams and generate DDL
- Freeware: SqlSpec: SqlSpec generates
documentation of the objects in your Oacle, SQL Server or other database. The trial version is
- Freeware: Statspack Viewer: GUI that
helps you visualize Oracle's STATSPACK utility output.
- Freeware: SwisSQL: Helps you
migrate Oracle PL/SQL Packages, Procedures, Functions and Triggers to Microsoft SQL Server
- Freeware: The DDL Extract Wizard: Reads an
Oracle export file and displays the DDL code.
- Shareware: Universal Table Browser: GUI query
tool that gives you access to your database using ODBC connections.
- Shareware: VROOM: Cross-platform GUI
performance monitor for Oracle databases.
[ Return to Table of Contents ]
- Shareware: ADO.NET Express Pro: Add-in for
Visual Studio 2003 that generates class methods for calling stored procedures and executing common
types of SQL statements.
- Freeware: Aqua Data Studio: Create, edit, and
execute SQL scripts, as well as browse and visually modify database structures.
- Freeware: CAST Code-Checker:
Detect and analyze specific performance, portability and quality issues in the PL/SQL or Java code
of your applications.
- Shareware: CGIScripter:
Write Perl CGI scripts for MySQL, Oracle, Access, and other database servers instantly.
- Freeware: CuteSQL: Execute SQL
commands and queries for any database.
- Shareware: Database Design Studio Lite:
Create ERD models, SQL scripts and Java source for forward engineering of relational
- Shareware: dbSaint: Build and tune SQL
and PL/SQL packages, procedures, triggers, functions, and objects.
- Shareware: DBScheduler: Quickly
create HTML, ASCII or CSV formatted reports off your databases, and/or schedule them to
automatically run at any time.
- Shareware: DBSearch: This tool takes
away the hassle of finding things in any database, and disregarding structural boundaries. DBSearch
finds the string you are looking for in your database.
- Shareware: DBScripter for Oracle: A
database utility that creates a script from any Oracle database's data, objects and/or
- Shareware: DBSchemaExplorer:Easily
browsing through multiple databases at a time.
- Shareware: DBX Commander: A database
manipulation, query, and reporting tool. It directly supports all major databases and through the
ODBC protocol, many more.
- Shareware: ERCreator: An affordable
Entity Relationship Diagram tool for ERD data modeling and database design.
- Shareware: FlexTracer:
Debug program calls to functions located in dynamic-link-libraries —- from Windows API to Oracle
- Shareware: FormsMate: Utilities to
make developing Forms applications easier and faster.
- Freeware: iSQL-Viewer: An open-source
JDBC-compliant database front-end written in Java, including a query builder, object viewer, batch
processor and more.
- Freeware: JBSQL:
Enhanced SQL*Plus editor with improved output, text editing, and command history.
- Freeware: JDBExplorer: Create, view, edit, and
compile PL/SQL and Java code.
- Shareware: JSPMaker: Create a full set
of JavaServer Pages directly from MySQL or Oracle.
- Shareware: IAB Studio: Develop and
deploy J2EE-based Internet applications.
- Shareware: Lattice.SPGen: Develop
database-stored procedures for Oracle and SQL Server.
- Shareware: Multiple Database Query
Analyzer: Run queries in SQL Server, Access, Oracle, and MySQL databases.
- Freeware:MyGeneration: Generate C#
and VB.Net classes and stored procedures from customizable templates.
- Shareware: Oracle Data Access for C++ Builder:
Provide your applications with a direct access to Oracle databases.
- Shareware: Oracle Data Access Components for
Delphi: Access Oracle RDBMS with these Delphi components.
- Shareware: OraDirect .NET Data Provider: Access
an Oracle database server for the Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Freeware: OracleTool: Edit, modify,
create and drop all types of objects; compare schemas and data; PL/SQL editor.
- Freeware:OraEdit: Edit and compile your
PL/SQL code, create new objects from templates, export all/some source, and more.
- Shareware: OraPowerTools: OraEdit (a
PL/SQL development environment), DBDiff (compare and upgrade any two Oracle databases), and
DBScripter (create SQL scripts from Oracle objects or data).
- Freeware: Query Reporter: Create and
run HTML reports from the results of a SQL query against an Oracle database.
- Shareware: QueryToDoc: Document your Oracle
database by translating its schemas into an easy-to-read Microsoft Word document.
- Shareware: SDE for JDeveloper : A
UML CASE tool/plug-in that allows you to draw all types of UML diagrams, generate Java code,
reverse engineer Java code to class diagrams and generate documentation.
- Shareware: SQLConsole: A visual query builder,
with SQL authoring, connection manager, intelligent auto-complete or keywords and context sensitive
- Freeware: Statement Tracer for Oracle:
Tool for debugging programs interfacing with Oracle.
- Freeware: SQLCreator: A
Java-based graphical SQL database query and development tool.
- Shareware: SqlFree: Build SQL statements
visually with this program.
- Shareware: SQL Query Tool (ODBC): Query ODBC
data sources, author SQL scripts, and retrieve ODBC driver information.
- Shareware: SQL Script Builder: Create
SQL scripts from any ODBC data source.
- Shareware: SQL Tools: PL/SQL editor, compiler, and
- Shareware: SQL*XL: Bridge
between Excel and Oracle databases.
- Freeware: TOAD: Toad
improves productivity with all the functionality needed to build and execute queries, create and
modify database objects, and develop and debug SQL and PL/SQL code.
- Freeware: TranslateSQL: Generates SQL
Server SQL scripts based on an existing Oracle schema, in essence 'translating' Oracle schemas into
SQL Server databases.
- Freeware: TSHSQL: A Java-based
PL/SQL editor and SQL query tool.
- Shareware: Universal
SQL Query Tool: Build queries to connect and manage virtually any database via ODBC.
- Shareware: WebExpress:
Create Web sites, Web pages and design database-driven Web forms without programming or editing
- Shareware: <XSLmaker>: Add,
delete, edit, view, and search data in a database on the Web and create dynamic, XML/XSLT-based Web
More Oracle learning guides
[ Return to Table of Contents ]
Course: Oracle basics: This guide helps you to research, compare or work with the Oracle DBMS.
It provides Oracle basics for versions 8.x, 9.x and 10g.
guide to Oracle error messages: Solve your Oracle errors quickly and easily with help from this
fast guide. It covers every expert response pertaining to Oracle errors on SearchOracle.com.
- Learning Guide
-- Performance tuning: Newbies and experts will benefit from this guide; you'll establish a
smart approach to tuning, use and interpret Oracle's tuning utilities and identify specific problem
- Learning guide to
PL/SQL: This fast guide to PL/SQL can help both newbies and veterans become better acquainted
with the language and hone their developer skills.
guide: Oracle security: This guide covers a wide variety of topics on many aspects of Oracle
security to help you lock down your data.
Guide: Becoming an Oracle Certified Professional: Get expert technical advice on where to begin
your certification studies, passing the final exam and putting your certification into effect in
This was first published in February 2005