When there are databases with different nls_lang, you need to change your registry parameters when switching between DBs. Here is a simple way to open a SQL*Plus window to a database with a particular nls_lang without the need to change the registry.
Create a batch file on your desktop for every database with the name SID.bat, and type in these commands:
# this is an example for using sql plus on UTF8 db from a client
set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.IW8ISO8859P8 o:orawin95binplus80w.exe ps8/ps8@ps8dvlp
# this is an example for using sql plus on WE8ISO8859P1 db from a client
set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 o:orawin95binplus80w.exe ps8/ps8@ps8dvlp
and so on.
For More Information
- What do you think about this tip? E-mail the Editor at email@example.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBA's and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Check out our Ask the Experts feature: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.