This script reports the following:
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
- the names of all tablespaces
- the datafiles and locations that are associated with the tablespaces
- the size of each tablespace
- the amount of used and free space in each tablespace (which is also represented as a percentage)
It has been tested on versions 8 and up. Log in as a user with DBA privileges or as SYS or SYSTEM to run this script.
declare dbname VARCHAR2(8); CURSOR c1 IS SELECT tablespace_name, file_id, max(bytes) largeextent, sum(bytes) totalfreespace FROM sys.dba_free_space GROUP BY tablespace_name, file_id ORDER BY tablespace_name, file_id; CURSOR c2 (fileid INTEGER) IS SELECT name, bytes FROM v$datafile WHERE file# = fileid; BEGIN SELECT name INTO dbname FROM v$database; DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(''); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Space Report for Database '||dbname); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('-----------------------------------'); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(''); FOR rec1 IN c1 LOOP DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Tablespace Name: '||rec1.tablespace_name); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(''); FOR rec2 IN c2 (rec1.file_id) LOOP DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Data File Name: ' ||rec2.name); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Total File Size (MB): ' ||ROUND(rec2.bytes/1024/1024,0)); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Free Space in File (MB): ' ||ROUND(rec1.totalfreespace/1024/1024,0)); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('% Free Space in File: ' ||ROUND (((rec1.totalfreespace/rec2.bytes)* 100),0)||'%'); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('Largest Extent (MB): ' ||ROUND(rec1.largeextent/1024/1024,0)); DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(''); END LOOP; END LOOP; END; /
For More Information
- Feedback: E-mail the editor with your thoughts about this tip.
- More tips: Hundreds of free Oracle tips and scripts.
- Tip contest: Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize -- submit your tip today!
- Ask the Experts: Our applications, SQL, database administration, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
- Forums: Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our active forums.
- Best Web Links: Oracle tips, tutorials, and scripts from around the Web.