You can create a database link without having a SQL*NET string in your tnsnames.ora file. This is beneficial when you use a remote database for one time only or you have a different client (eg, 8.0 vs. 7.3). This tip has been tested on Oracle 8.0.5. It may also work with 8i or other versions that use SQL*NET.
create database link disali connect to dis identified by dis using '(DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ) <--- DB Server IP (PORT = 1521))) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = DIS)))' <---- SID OF DB
For More Information
- Feedback: E-mail the editor with your thoughts about this tip.
- More tips: Hundreds of free Oracle tips and scripts.
- Tip contest: Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize -- submit your tip today!
- Ask the Experts: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
- Forums: Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our active forums.
- Best Web Links: Oracle tips, tutorials, and scripts from around the Web.
This was first published in August 2002