This procedure is dynamic SQL that calls the dbms_stats package to analyze all tables (excluding the temporary...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
table) in the caller's schema. It has been tested on 8.1.6 and 9.2.
Calling the dbms_stats package to analyze a table benefits the cost-based optimizer, which Oracle recommends you routinely analyze. It will help speed up the analysis if you just analyze 1% of tables. Also, I've found that using dbms_stats.gather_table_stats can give better statistics than Oracle's recommended dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats.
CREATE OR REPLACE procedure analyze_table2 as ojn varchar2(100); user_name varchar2(20); dml_str VARCHAR2(200); CURSOR c1 IS SELECT table_name FROM user_tables WHERE temporary <> 'Y'; BEGIN select user into user_name from dual; open c1; loop fetch c1 into ojn; dbms_output.put_line ('Now '|| ojn ||' is analyzing '); exit when c1%NOTFOUND; dml_str := 'begin dbms_stats.gather_table_stats( '||''''||user_name||'''' ||','|| ''''||ojn ||'''' || ',null,1) ;end;'; dbms_output.put_line (dml_str); execute immediate dml_str; END LOOP; END; /
Dennis D. writes: Why use dynamic SQL? The faster option is dbms_stats.gather_table_stats, which can be called directly.
Andrew K. writes: If using dbms_stats, you might as well use dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats, which is provided in the stats package.
For More Information
- Feedback: E-mail the editor with your thoughts about this tip.
- More tips: Hundreds of free Oracle tips and scripts.
- Tip contest: Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize -- submit your tip today!
- Ask the Experts: Our applications, SQL, database administration, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
- Forums: Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our active forums.
- Best Web Links: Oracle tips, tutorials, and scripts from around the Web.