Assume you have a table of a bill of materials (BOM):
BOM(ItemId, ParentItemId, Name, QtyPerParent)
Let's say that you need to get a count of child items to produce some root item. For this reason you need to multiply all QtyPerParent values in the production chain. Note that all ItemId's are unique. Here is the select:
select exp(sum(ln(QtyPerParent))) from ( select ItemId, QtyPerParent from BOM starting with ItemId = p_ChldItem connect by prior ParentItemId = ItemId minus select ItemId, QtyPerParent from BOM starting with ItemId = p_RootItem connect by prior ParentItemId = ItemId)
For More Information
- What do you think about this tip? E-mail the editor at email@example.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize--submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle questions--or help out your peers by answering them--in our live discussion forums.
- Check out our Ask the Experts feature: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.