All answers to this quiz are found in the chapter download, "Chapter 8: Backup and recovery for high availability environments". Good luck!
How to take the quiz:
- After reading the question, note the letter of your answer. Check your answers by clicking the link to the answer key at the end of the quiz.
To read more about a topic, open the chapter and locate the indicated page after each answer.
1. What percent of the time have DBAs initiated a restore of every datafile in the database when a hardware failure or a data corruption occurred, rather than restore a single datafile, or a subset of datafiles, to resolve the issue?
2. RMAN (Recovery Manager) backs up the database at this level, streaming them through a memory buffer to perform checks.
3. The concept behind this tool is to simplify the management of your backup and recovery duties by consolidating the requisite files into a single location that Oracle and RMAN can then micromanage, while the DBA moves on to other important HA duties.
A. Flashback Recovery Area
B. Data Guard
C. Automatic Storage Management
D. Real Application Clusters
4. This is the lookup table for determining where the RMAN backups reside and when they were taken, and it is now the home of backup job controls. As such, you must be just a little nervous about its health.
A. temp file
B. trace file
C. flat file
5. The chapter offers five guiding principles for a high availability strategy. Which of the following is NOT one of them?
A. A complete restore of the database must be avoided at all costs.
B. Datafile recovery should take minutes, not hours.
C. User errors should be dealt with using media recovery, not Flashback Technology.
D. Backup maintenance should be automated to fit business rules.
6. This refers to the number of files that are included in a single backupset.
D. initialization parameters
7. The most common form of recovery should be this type of recovery.
C. full database
D. block media
8. This Oracle error plagues many DBAs, but it can be easily be resolved using RMAN: Plug in the file number and block number from the error, and RMAN will go to the last backup, get the one block showing corruption, restore it and then scroll through the archivelogs to see if any of the redo need be applied to the block.
9. What is the one thing RMAN can NOT do by itself?
A. access Oracle data block
B. perform media recovery on single block
C. take copies of the Oracle datafiles
D. backup directly to tape
10. To use split-mirror technology successfully with an Oracle database, it is required that, prior to the mirror split, every tablespace in the database be placed into this backup mode first.
A. hot backup mode
B. cold backup mode
C. full backup mode
D. incremental backup mode
This was first published in May 2004