In March 2007, Oracle bought its way into the performance management software business by acquiring Hyperion Solutions for some $3.3 billion. It was Oracle's hope at the time that Hyperion's products would serve as a strong complement to its growing line of business intelligence products. After two-and-a-half years, and a handful of other major acquisitions by Oracle, we sat down with Boris Evelson, Principal Analyst at Forrester Research, to find out how well Oracle has integrated Hyperion's products into its overall strategy.
In this 18-minute podcast, listeners will learn:
- If there has been a pushback on Hyperion products by users waiting to see if Oracle could orchestrate the takeover smoothly.
- How the combined Oracle-Hyperion offerings stack up against those of IBM and SAS.
- If the integration of business intelligence into Oracle's Fusion Middleware sets the stage for delivering cloud-based business intelligence services.
- If business intelligence can be the killer app for cloud computing.
- How interested users are in adopting open source-based business intelligence products.
|Listen to the podcast:|
You must have Adobe Flash Player 7 or above to view this content.See http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer to download now.
Download for later:
Has Oracle's BI strategy become smarter with Hyperion?
• Internet Explorer: Right Click > Save Target As
• Firefox: Right Click > Save Link As
About the speaker: Boris Evelson, a principal analyst with Forrester Research, leads the firm's research into business intelligence (BI). He is responsible for delivering strategic guidance, helping enterprises define enterprise BI strategies, governance, and architectures. His current research has focused on some of the latest trends in BI, such as convergence of process and data intelligence, on-demand BI, convergence of structured and unstructured data intelligence, and implications of ever-growing data volumes on BI. Before Forrester Boris was a managing partner with Textra, a strategic advisory firm, and spent several years as a vice president and strategic technology advisor at JP Moragan/Lab Morgan. Boris holds a degree in business management from Moscow Teacher's College, Russia.
|For more on Oracle business intelligence|
- Learn more about what Oracle's BI strategy means for Hyperion users.
- Read more details about Oracle's Hyperion integration.
This was first published in September 2009