Michael is currently serving as IT Director, Business Intelligence and Data Admin. in the Customer Channels Group (global IT and business services) for Thermo Fisher Scientific. In this role, he is currently leading efforts to provide global shared services for database support, data warehousing, business intelligence and quality assurance.
Michael began his career as a DBA with US Steel, then moved on to manage the corporate Oracle DBA team at Alcoa. For over 10 years, Michael has been leading remote DBA support efforts for small firms servicing a national client base. Having been in a leadership role throughout most of his 20+ year career, Michael has hired and managed over 50 DBAs and supported thousands of databases for well over 100 clients.
Michael's specialties include IT management issues, best practices, (ITIL Foundations Certified), service level management, quality improvement and daily operations. Michael also has a strong background and over 15 years of hands-on experience in database support, including Oracle (OCP Certified), SQL Server and DB2.
Do you have a question for our experts?
Contributions from Michael Hillenbrand, IT Director, BI and Data Admin, Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Is Linux certification necessary for my job in Oracle?
- Business Analyst vs. Data Architect: Who should do the source-to-target mapping?
- Remote database administration: What to look for in a provider
- What is the difference between a database engineer, architect and administrator?
- Oracle DBA interview questions
- What is the difference between a production DBA and a developer?
- Oracle certification tips and advice
- Becoming a Junior DBA
- When trying to find a job, should I focus on becoming educated in Oracle or SQL?
- How important is ERP knowledge?
- Value of Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) exam in landing entry-level job
- Staying marketable as a DBA
- Oracle 11i vs. Oracle 11g
- Shifting from IT Manager to Oracle DBA
- What is the best book for Oracle certification?
- Why does Oracle beat out MySQL in database comparisons?
- Business case for Oracle Database upgrades
- Difference between Oracle Forms and E-Business Suite
- What should I study after Oracle 9i training?
- Confused about Oracle certification exams