I am an Oracle database developer. What would be the issues in having a system in Progress at an Oracle site? How similar are Oracle and Progress? Would I have to learn new skills to support a Progress system? Can you easily develop interfaces between Oracle and Progress ?
I don't know Progress but as with most all databases, you'll find that knowledge of one will help you learn another more quickly. I'm sure you'd have to learn some new things to support a Progress system.
Interfaces between Progress and Oracle should be able to be accomplished in many different ways: Oracle Transparent Gateway, flat file loads using SQL*Loader, etc. I don't know how "easy" the development of these interfaces would be, but like everything else... where there's a will... there's a way.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.