We have successfully migrated from 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124.0 using the migration utility provided by Oracle. But we...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
have the problem ORA-04043: CANNOT DESCRIBE OBJECT USING DB_LINK. Now we cannot describe tables on remote database using db_link. I have raised the TAR (2468007.995) with Oracle, but Oracle says its a bug (bug no:763958 ). What can be the solution for this ?
The fix would be to upgrade to 8.1.7. But, the workaround to stop getting the error message is simply to not try to use a synonym on a remote db when describing a table. Whenever you try to use DESCRIBE synonym@dblink, you get the error. So, in order to not get the error, you'll have to refer to the actual remote table instead (ex: DESCRIBE table@dblink). You obviously have to know the exact table name instead of just the synonym, but that's the only way to workaround the bug until you upgrade to 8.1.7.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle error messages
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.