The fix would be to upgrade to 8.1.7. But, the workaround to stop getting the error message is simply to not try to use a synonym on a remote db when describing a table. Whenever you try to use DESCRIBE synonym@dblink, you get the error. So, in order to not get the error, you'll have to refer to the actual remote table instead (ex: DESCRIBE table@dblink). You obviously have to know the exact table name instead of just the synonym, but that's the only way to workaround the bug until you upgrade to 8.1.7.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Karen Morton are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in September 2002