- Oracle is a very stable and reliable database (more reliable tha SQL Server or Access, for example, where I encountered many data and index corruptions).
- Oracle runs as a server on many platforms (Windows NT, 2000, XP, UNIX, LINUX, etc.), while SQL Server can be run as a server just on Windows NT and 2000 platforms.
- Oracle has very large functionalities, both in Java and PL/SQL packages that enables it to perform many complicated tasks, like Object Oriented Programming, advanced error detection, etc.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
This was first published in May 2002