We are a small company with an Oracle 8i database. We currently have an Oracle DBA, but have we have been pretty unhappy with his performance so far. I would like to know what type of things should we be looking for in a DBA and what questions should we be asking? Thank you for your time and help.
It is unfortunate that your DBA is not performing as expected. Hopefully, you'll be able to find out if it is your expectations that are too high, or if you have an unqualified individual for the job. SearchDatabase has compiled a list of topics about general database administration. You can find these topics here:
One of the best articles I've ever seen written about questions to ask a potential DBA in a job interview is by Mike Ault. You can find a copy of this article here:
You might want to see how many questions your current DBA can answer!
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the editors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.