While upgrading the database from 8.0.6, we exported the database with Full=Y option. Now after installing a fresh...
database version 8.1.7, while using import of the entire dump, what will happen to the data dictionary and system tables owned by sys and system user?
The data dictionary tables owned by SYS are never exported, even if you specify FULL=Y on export. This is because any objects in the data dictionary will be rebuilt when you import into the new database. Don't worry about exporting and importing SYS. The export and import utilities will take care of everything for you.
The SYSTEM user is a little different. While objects owned by SYSTEM may be important, they are not data dictionary objects. So these objects will be exported and imported if performing FULL versions of export and import.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.