Can I use this in T-SQL:
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
where c.asset_id = v.parent_asset_id and (c.asset_type,d.asset_type,v.assoc_type) in (select m.asset_key,n.asset_key,o.association_key from dbo.t_association_rule o, dbo.t_asset_master m, dbo.t_asset_master n)
SQL Server does not support using the IN operator in that way, that is, evaluating whether a set of two or more columns are "in" a sub-query. I have a couple of solutions which I believe accomplish the same thing. One uses an inner join, while the other involves using the EXISTS operator and a correlated sub-query. Using an employee table as an example, here's the first:
select e.FirstName, e.LastName from Emp e inner join OtherEmp oe on ( oe.FirstName = e.FirstName and oe.LastName = e.LastName );Here's the second solution:
select e.FirstName, e.LastName from Emp e where exists ( select * from OtherEmp oe where oe.FirstName = e.FirstName and oe.LastName = e.LastName );That fact that in your particular situation, you use columns from different tables should not affect the effectiveness of these two approaches.
For More Information
- What do you think about this answer? E-mail the edtiors at editor@searchDatabase.com with your feedback.
- The Best SQL Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle and SQL
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.