I'm managing Oracle9i (126.96.36.199) on an HP-UX 64-bit server. I have downloaded the latest patch (4751921). Could you please explain upgrading Oracle9i step by step using the OPatch utility?
If you downloaded the patch from Metalink, you will see that there is a README file accompanying the patch itself. The complete instructions for applying this patch are included in this file. The basic steps for applying this patch are as follows:
- Download a copy of OPatch from Metalink. This patch requires OPatch version 188.8.131.52.54.
- Shut down all databases and listeners using the ORACLE_HOME to be patched.
- Apply the patch using OPatch. Check the log files for errors.
- Start up each database using this ORACLE_HOME and run the catcpu.sql script. Again, check for errors or problems.
- Recompile any invalid objects in the databases.
Remember to read the README file before you start applying this patch. The steps contained in this document are very detailed and specific. Note that there is also a procedure for uninstalling the patch should it fail.
This was first published in July 2006