How would I execute UTLBSTAT at instance startup? How would I execute UTLESTAT at instance shutdown? I am using...
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
the Oracle supplied dbstart and dbshut scripts provided on Compaq TRU64 Unix 4.0f with Oracle 8.1.7 to start/stop the instance.
Since you are using Oracle 8i, you can now use the AFTER STARTUP and BEFORE SHUTDOWN triggers. You can execute any code you wish in the PL/SQL blocks for those triggers.
Otherwise, you can just add a line in your dbstart or dbshut scripts which call a program to run UTLBSTAT or UTLESTAT. For instance, I have a script which can run UTLBSTAT as such:
#!/bin/csh # stats_collect.sh # by Brian Peasland # 18 April 2002 # setenv PATH /usr/openwin/bin:.:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:/etc:/usr/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/dt/bin setenv ORAENV_ASK NO setenv ORACLE_SID $SID source /usr/local/bin/coraenv sqlplus system/manager @$ORACLE_HOME/utlbstat.sql
One final note...UTLBSTAT/ESTAT are not nearly as good as 8i's new STATSPACK. STATSPACK gives you so much more information! You might want to look into using STATSPACK instead.
For More Information
- Dozens more answers to tough Oracle questions from Brian Peasland are available.
- The Best Oracle Web Links: tips, tutorials, scripts, and more.
- Have an Oracle or SQL tip to offer your fellow DBAs and developers? The best tips submitted will receive a cool prize. Submit your tip today!
- Ask your technical Oracle and SQL questions -- or help out your peers by answering them -- in our live discussion forums.
- Ask the Experts yourself: Our SQL, database design, Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, metadata, object-oriented and data warehousing gurus are waiting to answer your toughest questions.
Dig Deeper on Oracle database design and architecture
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.